Today I had a conversation with a good friend of mine and we talked about what comes out of our mouth, and more specifically when giving advice. One of my favorite questions has always been "What do you think I should..." you can fill in the ending with "do, feel about, watch, eat, say, do about..." the list on and on. Pridefully I loved this question because I got to tell the person what I think, and feel special about how great it is to give people nuggets of my "wisdom" (which usually sucks).
As a believer who by God's grace really loves his brothers and sisters I sometimes dread this question because I so desperately want to give just the right response, the one that will be life changing. As I've grappled with God about this, the response He's given me is kind of a "DUH" response but being as unwise as I am of course it's taken me a long time to get this.
God says" All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." 2 Tim 3:16
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12
So clear in scripture that all our advice should come from scripture. The Bible is useful for teaching others, rebuking sinning brothers and sisters, correction, and training for all to become more like Jesus. Who am I to give my two cents?
A cool tidbit God has shown me lately is that when we love others through His word, it is an act of humility. The Word says that God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. I want to live by grace.
God's Word helps a college dude who lacks wisdom live out Proverbs 10:19-
When words are many, sin is not absent,
but he who holds his tongue is wise.
When we as believers give our "wisdom" it esteems us, when God's word is used and true wisdom is given, our brothers and sisters are blessed and God gets the glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment