Last weekend a few friends and I took a trip to Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. Before visiting a Bible College I had this interestingly foolish thought in my mind that kids at a Bible college were weird. The night started off with me meeting up with an old friend from the summer, her name is April. It was awesome to see her again and to reconnect on things that happened since summer, and all that God's been doing in our lives.
Moody has around 2000 students and it has 5 dorms plus an area somewhat like the memorial union at Iowa State. So it was pretty packed on a Friday night, with many kids, from so many different countries just hanging out. Going through the cafe area my first thought (coming from a secular university) was "I need to evangelize." Suddenly I remembered that only 17 percent of all Moody students who apply are accepted, and the first requirement is to have a burning fire for God. Than I thought oh, they probably would evangelize to me if they knew where I came from haha..
I told April what I was thinking and she laughed and said " if you tried to evangelize here they'd tell you to go across the street to the housing projects and share with some drug dealers."
It then really struck that I was going to live for the next few days in a community of believers. Although of course sin still existed, but everyone here was following the Lord. It was a surreal feeling and it was quite unreal.
I went up to my friend's dorm and the first thing I saw when I got out of the elevator was a floor of guys with only boxers on playing soccer in the hall way. Okay hold on Bible college? That was the most intense soccer game I've ever played, I think I got nailed on every part of my body with that soccer ball except my man area. Which praise God He protected me there. The weekend followed with an intense prayer and worship session from 12 Am- 6 Am in the morning.
The weekend was amazing because the kids there were so awesome. They just bled Christ and were really cool and social at the same time. They honestly would be much cooler in the world's eyes than Iowa State students, because they knew how to have fun and also they were living for the eternal God! Wow, it was amazing to walk down the hall and know that you were talking to someone who had the same burning passion as you.
This weekend so encouraged me because God can make not only Moody like that, but Iowa State, not just Iowa State but America, not just America but the world! I am just so excited just imaging a world of people that love with the love of Christ, and who are living for eternity.
Jesus said that "The fools build their home on shifting sand but wise men build their foundation on the rock." What would the look world like if instead of governments, people, and countries living on shifting sand but firmly rooted on the rock?
God you blow my mind! I will do my best to see to it that this becomes reality. Only through He who gives me strength.
No comments:
Post a Comment